Intertextual Connections


The unexpected island

I really enjoyed my time in Singapore. I don't feel like an overused post-it note anymore. It was good to take that break, timely to manage my travels along with work. It was somewhat, well planned - somewhat Singaporean.

This time I basked myself in the small island and found some great gems there. I liked it so much because I was in a place where no one knows your name, I had a lot of alone time, I could sleep in and not having to wake up any priorities. I got time to munch and crunch on words and thoughts. I had time to write by the grass, under the sun, counting cars & busses. I had timet o have conversations and enjoyed every one of them inclusive of my cab drivers which benefited me greatly.

To find a fellow Melbournian on the same flight back to KL, it was enjoyable catching up since we left university. It's been 3 years, and it was nice to see what the future plans were. He's moving to Singapore. How fitting, another one bites the dust for nice payroll. We're losing talent but really can anything be more obvious than the current state of our country. He was surprised I'm choosing to stay.

Coversations on the US sub prime, local politics, and asian economy growth and development were bounced off and also grappling the true essence that we need to be ready for moves and we need to be keeping ourselves fluid for the years to come. We're current in the times where Asia is booming sector but also playing finely on a potential financial crash that obviously affects any nation. But we're in a good place to make a difference. And that proves to be challenging. With diversity, adversity and the plague of society, I read filled with curiosity, thinking through with high ambiguity - it's no wonder, I needed that break.

And Singapore did that for me. Thank you.
I spent my time not working about any of those sorts. I wanted to just enjoy my time watching, seeing, talking and listening. I allowed my mind to rest. Let me hear be put to a test. And what came out of it?

Many many things. It reaffirmed a lot of my own convictions this year. I'm thankful.

Some highlights in no particular order includes:-

1. Mambo night; it's the most hillarious lot and retro just tickles me to the core.
2. Chitty chitty bang bang - one word: SPECTACULAR!
3. Faithworks - Life: double bill; this was a bonus and it seemed as if this was meant to fall into our laps through quick conversations over lunch, to finding their last show at the information counter before we make our way to dinner; that ripple started an idea for a script for potential footstool next year. The play was very enjoyable and very relevant to the prevalent social ills today.
4. My development analogy of Shadow Pavement. A spiritual lesson I came to find while waiting outside of a home of which I had only the street lamps and my imagination to play around with. Thank God for Ipod. But that moment, that night, opened a great sense of revelation. I'll share a dedicated entry on Shadow Pavement soon.
5. I liked the fact that I did not spend anytime at Orchard and was introduced to areas that I have never knowned such as club street. It reminded me of a Malacca in a very specialised form. The modernity but quiet serenity had seemed to be a mismatch but the people operating were genuine, and that was good enough for me to move around on my own. It felt like fantasy in the walking landscape and just gathering materials and inspirations and looking forward to possible hook ups. This was after finding Malacca: voices from the street under their selling books of distribution by consignment basis. A shop with designing background and heritage. Now, I have a photographer, a german & chinese author who has done the work, a printing outfit; I'm really hoping this will really shape up to somewhere, I'm still praying and patiently continuing this effort.
6. Long long walks on the streets of Singapore alone. I really enjoyed this. The enjoyment stopped when I took a break and chinese gay dude tried to pick me up. It was horrendous.
7. Conversations with my fellow Singaporean friends. Small island but big hearts. Truly :)
8. Food. I enjoyed my makan. I like eating anyway.
9. Meeting Kumar, the singapore comedian/drag queen at one her/him/shim shows.
10. The fact that I managed to catch up with the fellow Malaysias who have crossed the shores but we fail to meet up. So over margaritas and wine, we did just that.
11. Oh, having a steal for CD buying - bought 2 box sets - best of jazz collection and love songs. Each comprise of 5 cds each. Priced only at SGD29.90 - good value I tell you!
12. A short sweet flight back home :)

The unexpected island
Very far from the highlands
Has managed to find its way to my heart
Through their organic tea and tarts

Thank you. Just thank you - for making it all the very special. Thank you for letting me rest my mind by just being kind.

Labels:

0 Responses to “The unexpected island”

Post a Comment



© 2005-2006 Intertextual Connections | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.